Best Women’s Mountain Bikes Under 500: 2017 Buyer’s Guide
Living in the hilly tract, help me to understand about the women mountain biking from the need of the best women’s mountain bikes for the money.
I used to ride the mountain bikes around the neighborhood when I was a kid, but then I had not been on a bicycle in almost twenty years. However, after I had kids of my own, I knew that I wanted to get back in shape. Therefore, I need the best mountain bikes for beginners.
In addition, in this women mountain bike review, I am going to share the important facts, and you need to consider for picking the best mountain bikes for women under 500.
Moreover, when they are old enough, we can go on family rides throughout the city and the woods by my house. Speaking of riding through the woods, if you are into off-road riding at all, then as a female you need the best mountain bicycles for women.
One of the biggest hurdles for most people, however, is the price of a new bike. If you want a high-quality bicycle, you will need to shell out big bucks. Thankfully, however, I have compiled a list of the best women mountain bike so you can get on the road without breaking the bank.
Moreover, I dissect the top 12 best ladies mountain bikes in the market to help you for picking the correct one with less effort.
- 1 Best Women's Mountain Bikes Under 500: A Quick Comparison
- 2 Best Mountain Bicycles for Women 2017
- 2.1 Schwinn Women’s High Timber Mountain Bike Review
- 2.2 Diamondback Bicycles Laurito Hardtail Complete Mountain Bike Review
- 2.3 Mongoose Women’s Status 2.2 Mountain Bike Review
- 2.4 26″ Schwinn Sidewinder Women’s Mountain Bike Review
- 2.5 Mongoose Girl’s Maxim Full Suspension Bicycle Review
- 2.6 Kawasaki K26 Mountain Bike Review
- 2.7 Pacific Women's Stratus Mountain Bike Review
- 2.8 Titan Wildcat Women's Hard Tail Mountain Bike Review
- 2.9 Dynacraft Women's Air Blast Bike Review
- 2.10 Xspec Folding Mountain Bike Trail Commuter Shimano Review
- 2.11 Mantis Orchid 26 Full Suspension Bicycle
- 2.12 Merax Finiss Aluminum 21 Review
- 3 Difference Between a Men’s and Women’s Mountain Bike
- 4 Significance of Suspension on the Best Female Mountain Bikes
- 5 Perfect Size for The Best Women’s Mountain Bike
- 6 How to Choose the Best Mountain Bikes for Women Under 500?
Best Women's Mountain Bikes Under 500: A Quick Comparison
Steel mountain frame
Aluminum suspension frame
Steel MTB frame
Steel low stand over mountain frame
Tubular Steel Frame.
Best Mountain Bicycles for Women 2017
Schwinn Women’s High Timber Mountain Bike Review
Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike is the first on our list of the best mountain bikes for women. Most of the customers liked to buy Schwinn mountain bikes because of the high quality and the effects budget options.
Steel frames are more substantial than aluminum, but they are sturdier, especially in the maintaining is a ride on the rough and uneven terrain. So, when you crash into anything, then a steel frame will be the ideal choice for the mountain rider.
The High Timber is an excellent mountain bike that comes with all the features for the money. Schwinn bikes made with a durable steel frame that helps you take on almost any type of terrain.
For quick gear changes, the female mountain bike has also provided a high-quality derailleur for shifting. Shimano is the great at making shifters, the women’s bike has 21 different speeds.
Other essential features, it adjusts a SRAM twist shifter in the handlebars. 26-inches tires are standard for the best ladies mountain bike under 500, so you get an extended coverage with the cycle.
26-inch wheels linear pull brakes, and a hardtail suspension system. Overall, this Schwinn bike provides you a limited lifetime warranty. So, you can depend on it during your ride.
- Durable steel frame
- Suspension Fork for a smoother ride
- Twenty-one speeds
- Shimano derailleur
- SRAM twist shifters
- Easy to shift between gears
- Durable alloy wheels
- Linear pull brakes
- 26-inch wheels
- Thick padded seat
- Rugged tread tires
- Limited lifetime warranty included
- Kickstand is not as durable as the rest of the bike
- In rare cases, the wheel may be bent
- In rare instances, brakes may squeal
Diamondback Bicycles Laurito Hardtail Complete Mountain Bike Review
Next, we have chosen the Diamondback Bicycles Laurito Hardtail Mountain Bike. Especially if you prefer aluminum frame, then this particular cycle is a bit of an upgrade to the upper one.
This diamondback women’s mountain bike is an aluminum-made lightest mountain bike, and the up hilling is very easy. Moreover, the aluminum frame is very sturdy and built for a stricter life. It has the smooth shifting of gear all directions.
While you are riding, there is a high-quality Shimano derailleur for easy and smooth shifting. Moreover, it has a hardtail suspension system for a smoother ride overall.
Better suspension and the extra-padded seat is there for your comfort. It's the first bike on test with a suspension fork and seat-post for maximum traction and comfort. The Diamondback laurito also includes a front gear which means the total gear number jumps up to 21.
It shows that the Diamondback mountain bike is meant for hills and rough terrain. Besides, this bike has 21 speeds for going up and down hills with relative ease. As I mentioned above, the larger size wheels are more comfortable to navigate rough terrain. So, this 27.5-inch wheels bike is much better for off-road riding.
- Durable aluminum frame
- Replaceable derailleur frame
- Front suspension fork for a smoother ride
- 27.5-inch wheels
- Twenty-one speeds
- Shimano derailleur
- Compatible with fenders and a rack
- Quick release wheels
- Front pull braking system
- Thickly padded bike saddle
- In rare instances, the shifter may not work correctly, and the wheels may be damaged
- Sometimes, the gear shifters need to be realigned
Mongoose Women’s Status 2.2 Mountain Bike Review
Mongoose is another high-quality and best mountain bike brand bike manufacturer. This is one of the best women’s mountain bike, highly recommended for kids and teenagers, and also adults can choose the bike.
The Status 2.2 Mountain Bike is from mongoose brand known for its durability and reliability. It is also made from lightweight and high-quality aluminum frame so that you can ride like a fantasy.
Moreover, you are going to experience a hardtail cycling because this bike has a full suspension system. A front suspension fork also makes your entire ride as much as smoother. Like most of the bikes, mongoose mountain bike has a Shimano derailleur for shifting. The mountain bike has 21 speeds for going up and down to the mountain with smoothly.
It also comes with a front pull braking system and SRAM twist shifters in the handlebars. The most different part of the bike is from two V brakes for better stopping power. Overall, this 26-inch wheels’ mountain bike has with alloy rims and three-piece cranking system for an extensive range of speeds.
- Durable aluminum frame
- Suspension Fork for a smoother rid
- Shimano rear derailleur
- SRAM twist shifters for better shifting
- Front and rear V-brakes
- Front pull braking system
- 26-inch wheels
- Three-piece cranking system
- Alloy rims
- Heavier than other models
- The braking system may need a tune-up upon arrival
- Sometimes the chain may break under pressure
26″ Schwinn Sidewinder Women’s Mountain Bike Review
Coming back to another best ladies mountain bike of Schwinn brand, the Sidewinder Mountain Bike. Most of the features of the bike are close to the High Timber. So, you still get from this bicycle all the benefits that you need for your ride.
Like the other cycle of the Schwinn brand the Sidewinder manufactured with a sturdy steel frame for any rough terrain. Sometimes steel makes the bike more substantial, but it is sturdier for facing all roughness. SR Suntour suspension fork provides a smooth, safe and controlled bike riding.
Using a Shimano derailleur, this mountain bike has 21-speed gears to provide them as best ride as possible. The 26-inch wheels Schwinn mountain bike is perfect biking on almost any terrain and uneven trails. The 26 inches wheels have alloy rims for the overall durable ride.
Other unique features of this bike, it has a steel handlebar and quick-release bike seat for every height. Unfortunately, this bicycle does not offer Schwinn’s limited lifetime warranty.
- Durable and sturdier steel frame
- Steel mountain bike pedals
- SR Suntour suspension fork
- 21 speeds gears
- Shimano rear derailleur for precise shifting
- Shimano Revo brakes
- Alloy linear pull braking system
- 26-inch wheels suitable for any terrain and uneven trails
- Arrived with a quick-release easily adjustment bike saddle
- Bike seat is a little firm
- Brakes may squeak upon arrival
- Sometimes the shifters may not work properly
Mongoose Girl’s Maxim Full Suspension Bicycle Review
Mongoose Maxim Girl’s Bicycle comes with the best budget full suspension mountain bike. This particular mountain bike is not only working for adult women but also work for at any age range. This women’s mountain bike designated with different height range.
The Maxim is manufactured with a high-quality and lightweight aluminum suspension frame to extend the maximum comfort and performance.
As the tires of the bike are 24 inches instead of the standard 26, Mongoose Maxim is the best full suspension mountain bike that provide the rider a smooth and controlled ride.
Nonetheless, 21-speed high-quality Shimano rear derailleur in the back with SRAM twist shifters changes gears easily. The best thing that I like most about this bike that it also arrived with a full suspension system so that you can ride comfortably in the mountain area. Moreover, the 3-piece mountain cranking system offers a broader range of speeds.
You also get alloy linear pull brakes for sure stopping power. Henceforth, this women’s mountain bike is easy to use and ride.
- Durable aluminum-made bike frame
- Full suspension bike
- Both wheels have suspension fork for a smoother ride
- 21 speed Shimano rear derailleur
- Best inexpensive mountain bike
- Alloy linear pull brakes for quick stopping
- SRAM twist shifters for better control
- Three-piece crank system for broader speed
- 24-inch wheels
- Alloy rims
- Adjustable bike saddle
- The brakes may be out of alignment upon arrival
- The tires may burst under pressure
- In some cases, the shifters may not work properly
- Heavier than other bikes
Kawasaki K26 Mountain Bike Review
Now we come to the Kawasaki K26G Hard tail Mountain bike is a great starter bike for those who are into leisure biking on relatively smooth trails.
If you are a hardcore biker, this might not be the best women’s mountain bike for you. However, the K26G Hard tail does have some nice features. The Kawasaki K26G bike comes with 26-inch aluminum wheels mounted to a solid steel frame.
Much like the other bikes on this list, the top women's mountain bike comes with a front suspension to help smooth your ride, although I do not recommend it for the rough or hazardous terrain.
Unlike the Finiss or the Orchid, this bike only has 18 speeds, using a Shimano rear derailleur and shifter system. Like the Orchid, this bike features a twist shifter to switch between gears.
The Hard tail comes with linear pull MTB brakes and features a quick-release seat for easy changing of the saddle. Fortunately, however, the seat that comes with it is quite comfortable, so you probably will not need to replace it anytime soon.
- Durable steel frame
- 18 variable speeds
- 26’’ tires with alloy rims
- Front suspension for a smooth ride
- best beginner mountain bike for casual riders
- Easy to use
- Not suitable for hardcore mountain bikers
- May need professional assistance to assemble
- Braking system may become weak soon
Pacific Women's Stratus Mountain Bike Review
When it comes to the best ladies mountain bike, style seems to be just as important as functionality. The Pacific Stratus Mountain Bike looks gorgeous with a brilliant blue frame that makes it pop.
Thankfully, it rides as well as it looks, making it the best female mountain bike for starter mountain rider. The pacific bike comes with 26-inch aluminum wheels mounted to a solid steel frame.
Unlike the other mountain bikes on this list, the Stratus does not have a front suspension, so I do not recommend for rough terrain. The pacific mountain bike also has the least amount of speed options, with only 15 adjustable speeds. As far as braking, the Stratus is old school, using steel calipers to stop the bike.
While these brakes work fine, they are not great for stopping at high speeds. Instead, you will need to slow yourself down to a stop gradually.
- Stylish and durable steel frame
- 15 adjustable speeds
- Low frame size for shorter riders
- Perfect for casual riders
- Single part mountain crank provides wide gear range
- Secure steel caliper brakes
- Easy control mountain frame
- Weak suspension
- Braking system is a bit old-fashioned
- Require professional assembly
Titan Wildcat Women's Hard Tail Mountain Bike Review
Titan Wildcat women’s 12-speed mountain bike is best for regular exercise, wild transportation, and other movements. It is made from sturdy steel with the kickstand but lightweight mountain bike.
Titan Wildcat mountain bike offers the perfect fit comfortable height adjustable saddle and handlebars, especially for women.
The features large 26-inch alloy wheels, which are durable in the 15-inch Tubular steel frame. The frame itself has a dual suspension, so you get a much smoother ride. This bike has 12 speeds to help you get into the right gear for the right terrain.
The mountain bike also has front and rear V-Brakes to help you stop quickly, which are operated by a lever on the handlebars. It is also great for a commuter or city bicycle for women and teen girls.
- Get high traction on uneven terrains with the commuter tires
- Sturdy steel front and rear brakes
- Secure 12-speed gearing system
- Professional girl’s mountain bike
- Front and rear V-brakes
- Fast shipping
- Standard pedals
- Assembly is easy
- The saddle is a bit hard as a road bike
- The pedal constantly keeps falling off
- Water bottle not included
Dynacraft Women's Air Blast Bike Review
Next on our list is the Dynacraft Women's Air Blast Bike with a pink body and matching tire spokes. However, this model looks more like a teen girl’s bicycle, but it can comfortably fit a woman.
Additionally, it has a few more features that make it better than just a leisure mountain bike. The best thing about this is the high-impact full suspension, which is fully adjustable.
The Dynacraft Women's Air Blast Mountain Bike comes with dual suspension and front and rear steel brakes including resin levers. This bike has 21 speeds, and it uses both a Shimano front and rear derailleur.
A comfortable hovering seat is included with it for the ladies. However, Dynacraft bikes give a lifetime warranty on frame and fork. 26″ Dynacraft women’s mountain bike will ensure an exciting ride.
- Shifts gears quickly
- Assemble is very easy
- 21 variable speeds
- Reliable Disc brakes
- Nice and fancy mountain bike for the price
- Short frame for short rider
- Little bit heavy and clunky
- Poor quality saddle and over time, it may start to loose
- In some cases, the bike chain fell off
Xspec Folding Mountain Bike Trail Commuter Shimano Review
After considering the basic need of a folding mountain bike, I have added on my list Xspec 26" Folding Mountain Bike. This Folding Mountain Bike beats the market because of its exceptional high-quality and modern features.
It has a tensile frame with Shimano SL-TX30 shifter and RD-TZ50 Rear Derailleur. The high-quality, durable 26” x 1.75 tires offer excellent traction.
This best budget mountain bike allows the women to fold it up in less than 15 secs in any storage place like the trunk of the car, to the office place, or store neatly in a closet. This bike requires no extra tools.
This Xspec bikes designed streamline frame best use for students, office workers, urban environments, and neighborhood commuting.
- Large and fast 26’’ wheels foldable design
- No need extra tools
- High Tensile Folding Frame
- Alloy Wheels with High Grade 26″ x 1.75 Road Tires
- Alloy Handlebars
- Gears are easy to use and shift
- Quickly fold less than 15 second
- Heavy bike need lot of energy
- The seat of the bike need extra cushioning
- Tires are very heavy
Mantis Orchid 26 Full Suspension Bicycle
First on our list is the Mantis Orchid Mountain Bike. If you are looking to break into the best women’s mountain bike, this is a good starter bike, since it just has the basic features you need.
The Orchid Mantis features large 26-inch aluminum wheels, which are durable in the 17-inch steel frame. The frame itself has a dual suspension, so you get a much smoother ride. This bike has 21 speeds to help you get into the right gear for the right terrain.
Although Mantis makes the bike, it features a Shimano Tourney TZ30 set of rear derailleur for easy shifting between gears. In addition, to switch gears, this bike uses a twist shifter, rather than a lever or toggle.
The Orchid also has front and rear V-Brakes to help you stop quickly, which are operated by a lever on the handlebars. Mantis Orchid has been around since the 80s, and the company has made some of the better mountain bikes out there.
- Durable 17- inch steel frame
- Low frame for shorter riders
- Full suspension mountain bike
- 26-inch lightweight aluminum wheels
- Multiple speed option
- Best for riding in any terrain
- Not suitable for professional mountain biking
- Under pressure, the shifter may not work as well
- Professional assembly may require
Merax Finiss Aluminum 21 Review
Next on our list is the Merax Finiss Mountain Bike. However, this model looks more like a men’s bicycle, but it can comfortably fit a woman. The Finiss has 26-inch aluminum wheels attached to a lightweight aluminum frame.
This bike also features an 80 mm suspension fork to help smooth your ride in most terrains. This bike has 21 speeds, and much like the Orchid, it uses both a Shimano front and rear derailleur. The model numbers of those are FD-TZ30 and RD-TZ50, respectively.
Unlike the Orchid, these Finiss model instead uses a trigger shifter and Shimano makes this. The bike has durable metal disc brakes to help you stop quickly and efficiently. These mechanical brakes are on the front and rear tire for your safety and convenience.
As far as size, this bike is very similar to the Orchid, but it features make it better than just a leisure mountain bike.
- Durable lightweight aluminum frame
- High-impact suspension fork for a smoother ride
- 21 variable speeds
- 26-inch durable aluminum wheels
- Reliable Disc brakes
- Short frame for short rider
- Demands professional assembly
- Poor quality saddle and over time, it may start to loosen
Difference Between a Men’s and Women’s Mountain Bike
Style can be considered as the major difference. The best women’s mountain bikes are shorter and lighter than men’s since most female riders are smaller than their male counterparts.
Again, many top mountain bikes for women have a diagonal frame bar, rather than a horizontal.
Moreover, the wide rear saddle is another difference between the two bikes due to the difference in male and ladies’ anatomy. In addition, mountain bikes for female have smaller handlebar than the male.
Significance of Suspension on the Best Female Mountain Bikes
For longer durability of mountain biking, the suspension in the frame and fork is very crucial.
Since you will presumably be going on rough or semi-rough terrain, a suspension will help keep your ride smooth throughout and protect the bike from being damaged by continuous shaking.
However, if you ever plan on off-roading, you will need something to help absorb the bumps and dips of the terrain.
Perfect Size for The Best Women’s Mountain Bike
To ensure a comfortable ride, you should have a frame that fits your body well. If it is too large, you can lose control of the bike. Again, if it is too small, you can feel cramped and possibly have problems with your feet hitting the front wheel.
Typically, the height of the frame should be a little lower than your crotch, to allow room for the seat. Ideally, the space between the bar and your pelvic area should only be a few inches. Too much space will mean the bike is too small.
Usually, the bike size depends on your height and the bike types.
Significance of Comfortable Saddle
If you are riding on rough terrain or for long periods, the saddle will either be your best friend or your worst enemy. Choose a seat that feels comfortable and allows you to adjust yourself when you ride.
Most women’s saddles are narrower and longer since women do not have to worry about pinching or crushing anything. To ensure a smooth ride, you need to be able to switch gears to make your movement much more fluid.
The more gears you can choose from, the better off you will be in the end. Furthermore, keep in mind about the design of the shifter trigger or twist, although this will come down to personal preference.
Urgency of Lights/ Basket
Other features of the mountain bike that you should consider are lights and a basket. While not all bikes come with lights and a basket, you should decide if having those items would enhance your riding experience.
Most of the time, you have to purchase these things separately and then mount them to your bike, but they can be very helpful, depending on the type of riding you are doing.
How to Choose the Best Mountain Bikes for Women Under 500?
When trying to find the right bike for your needs, there are certain things to keep in mind. The top four factors you should look at are:
The best female mountain bikes come in a variety of styles to match the terrain and your ride. The most common styles are:
The three most common bike frame materials are steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. Since carbon fiber is the most expensive, you will not be able to get the best ladies mountain bikes that are made of this versatile material.
When it comes to steel vs. aluminum, however, steel is heavier and more durable but prone to rust. Aluminum is lightweight and may not rust, but it can bend easier. Choose depending on your needs.
- Trail: all around usage
- Cross country: designed for fast riding and climbing uphill
- Fat Bikes: thicker wheels for better traction on slippery surfaces (such as snow)
- All Mountain: an upgraded version of the trail bike, designed for more hardcore riders
- Downhill: Designed for racing, as well as encountering obstacles. These are very durable bikes
As far as wheels are concerned, the bigger the wheel, the more terrain you can conquer. Since you are higher off the ground, larger wheels, give you an edge, allowing you to navigate much more rough ground than you would with a smaller wheel. Sizes are usually between 26 and 29 inches.
To help get a smoother ride, make sure that the best female mountain bikes come with a sufficient suspension. There are three types of suspension:
- Rigid: no suspension at all
- Hardtail: front suspension fork, but nothing on the rear wheel
- Full: suspension on both front and rear wheels for a smoother ride overall
When trying to find the best women’s mountain bikes under 500, comfort is almost as important as functionality. It is often said, the most comfortable bikes are not necessarily the ones with the best saddle (since that can be replaced), but the ones that have a smooth ride and shift easily.
By this time, if you decide the best ladies mountain bike for you; do not waste time your on further research. I prefer steel for mountain bikes because they are sturdier bike. For this reason, I would highly recommend Schwinn Women’s High Timber Mountain Bike.
Nonetheless, the weight of your bike is probably going to be a big factor for you, so you will need to decide between steel and aluminum.
Leave your opinion in the below comment section, so that I can reach to you soon.